intfiction.org

The Interactive Fiction Community Forum
It is currently Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:58 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:37 am 

mokau wrote:
This is a really depressing thread.

Or a clarifying one! :D

I think it's helpful for people to know when something is dead given that the term "dead" means different things to different people. Inform 6 might be considered dead but it's entirely viable to produce games in, not least of which it still serves as the basis for Inform 7. TADS 3, is still viable for producing games of course. But the problem is that no one is really working on TADS from a development perspective. It's main operating environment (the workbench) is Windows only. So any updates are just bolted on. Consider how you have to use adv3lite, for example.

Obviously things can be done with it. Consider Thaumistry. Yet what TADS 3 needed wasn't some new game. It needed new aspects to its ecosystem. Now if Thaumistry had led to that kind of work and if that work was returned to the community, there might have been some positives. As it is, Thaumistry was just a flash in the pan, largely already forgotten. Had Thaumistry been used to kickstart some development in the TADS 3 space, however, perhaps by innovating in ways that would draw more people in, that would have been a game-changer. (No pun intended.)

It's very clear that Inform now rules the parser-based text adventure world. TADS will likely never make a comeback and while that might be depressing for some, it's very clarifying for those coming onto the scene who want to know where to spend their time.

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:32 pm 

Eldritch Eschaton wrote:
mokau wrote:
This is a really depressing thread.

Or a clarifying one! :D

Good point, EE.

One factor to think about is that for the most part, Inform 7 and TADS can be used to make almost identical games and either is viable, whether you want to forge through and use TADS (with moderate help - rarely on here does a TADS question go unanswered by someone eventually) or Inform with its much wider resource of active users.

I have similar regrets about the closing of Storynexus, which allowed people to make and monetize their own games in the format of Fallen London with a deck and cards and turns that regenerated over time. There's no other system that does anything similar - well Varytale, kinda, but it's defunct as well.

Similarly, ASM is moving to a Javascript format that fundamentally changes how you write those games and I'm despairing of ever learning it without some significant buckle-down time to learn JS. I may be sticking with 6.1 which is all macros and I pretty much understand. Hopefully, the devs won't stop answering questions about it.

Profile Send private message