intfiction.org

The Interactive Fiction Community Forum
It is currently Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:21 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:33 pm 

Hugor is a Hugo interpreter for Windows, Mac and Linux. It's been around for quite a while now, but it only supported video on Linux. I've now integrated LibVLC into the interpreter, which makes it possible to easily support video on Mac and Windows too.

But I need help with testing it on macOS. I don't have a real Mac anymore and am using a macOS virtual machine. LibVLC does not play video in that due to lack of hardware acceleration. So I need help with verifying whether video is playing correctly or not.

Can you download the test version of Hugor here:

http://83.212.107.13/~realnc/hugor/test ... -12-29.zip

It requires macOS 10.12, 10.13 or 10.14. (If there's need for older macOS versions, I can put a separate version together for legacy macOS versions.)

The game to test this with would be Future Boy, but since not many people have that game (the demo version does not have video,) here's a test game that displays a video in a loop:

http://83.212.107.13/~realnc/hugor/test ... eoTest.zip

It's a better test than Future Boy anyway, since it only displays a video loop and does nothing else. If the video plays correctly, please test whether you get an interpreter freeze when you quickly cancel the video with the escape key on your keyboard. Try and spam the escape key as quickly as possible. See if that causes the interpreter to hang. The test game will allow you to do that easily, since when you press escape is will simply restart the video.

Please let me know if it works :)

Last edited by RealNC on Sun Dec 30, 2018 4:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:23 am 

I tried it out on 10.12 Sierra, and I can't get it to hang by spamming escape. There are plenty of other issues, but I guess you are not interested in those at this stage.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:57 pm 

Angstsmurf wrote:
I tried it out on 10.12 Sierra, and I can't get it to hang by spamming escape.

Thanks! So the video shows up fine and when you press escape it restarts the video correctly then?

Quote:
There are plenty of other issues, but I guess you are not interested in those at this stage.

I am. Feel free to point out any other issues as well!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 2:05 pm 

RealNC wrote:
Thanks! So the video shows up fine and when you press escape it restarts the video correctly then?
Well, that depends on your definition of correctly, I suppose. When I first tried it, it started in fullscreen with the video tiny at the center, and it was difficult to see whether it was animating at all. Then I found the preferences, and set fullscreen width to 100%, and then it (almost) filled the screen. This may have been caused by old Hugor preferences in my system folder, though.

If I set it to windowed instead, the escape button only seems to work once, after that I get a warning beep every time I press it.

There doesn't seem to be any Retina support, so all text is low resolution. There also seems to be a bug where switching between fullscreen and windowed will erase part of the text at the bottom of the window.

A slightly frustrating thing is the missing standard shortcuts and menus. Command+Q doesn't quit, Command+W doesn't close the window, trying to scroll the text takes you to a new "scrollback" screen. The keys and gestures you try out of habit do something unexpected or nothing at all.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:10 am 

Angstsmurf wrote:
Well, that depends on your definition of correctly, I suppose. When I first tried it, it started in fullscreen with the video tiny at the center, and it was difficult to see whether it was animating at all. Then I found the preferences, and set fullscreen width to 100%, and then it (almost) filled the screen. This may have been caused by old Hugor preferences in my system folder, though.

To make sure this wasn't caused by old settings, make sure Hugor isn't running and execute the following in a terminal:

Code:
defaults delete com.nikos-chantziaras.Hugor

Is the problem still there?

Quote:
If I set it to windowed instead, the escape button only seems to work once, after that I get a warning beep every time I press it.

Hm. That is weird. No idea yet why that happens.

Quote:
There doesn't seem to be any Retina support, so all text is low resolution.

Good catch! I completely forgot about display scaling. I've now added Retina support and uploaded a new build:

http://83.212.107.13/~realnc/hugor/test ... -12-29.zip

Quote:
There also seems to be a bug where switching between fullscreen and windowed will erase part of the text at the bottom of the window.

Unfortunately, this is par for the course with graphical implementations of Hugo. Its windowing system does not support resizing or scrolling. When the window shrinks in size, the contents outside the window are lost and thus appear empty when the window size is increased again. The same happens to anything that is no longer visible (like text or images that scrolled off the screen.) The scrollback view is there to provide a way to still get back to previous text.

There might be some tricks possible to get some scrolling support, but not for the time being.

Quote:
A slightly frustrating thing is the missing standard shortcuts and menus. Command+Q doesn't quit, Command+W doesn't close the window, trying to scroll the text takes you to a new "scrollback" screen. The keys and gestures you try out of habit do something unexpected or nothing at all.

Thanks for these. I'm taking notes :) As mentioned above, the scroll issue is due to how the graphical Hugo engine works. But the rest needs fixing. What other keys and gestures do not work?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 6:55 am 

First of all, thanks for doing this. There are far too few fully-featured Mac interpreters out there.
RealNC wrote:
Is the problem still there?
After deleting the settings, the 100% Fullscreen width setting is gone, of course. I think the default is 63%. However, this is not really a problem with the new Retina-aware version you made, as the default video size is now four times as large as before, which is perfectly watchable.
RealNC wrote:
Quote:

Hm. That is weird. No idea yet why that happens.
The problem seems to be that the window (or the view) somehow loses focus when escape is pressed. If I focus it again by clicking in it with the mouse, escape will work again, but only once.
Quote:
Thanks for these. I'm taking notes :) As mentioned above, the scroll issue is due to how the graphical Hugo engine works. But the rest needs fixing. What other keys and gestures do not work?
I think the real problem with scrolling is that the two-finger mousepad gesture that I try to use for scrolling instead triggers the scrollback window. It would be much better if it did nothing at all.

Regarding the keyboard shortcuts, the only one I didn't mention was Command+O for opening a new game. But I guess everyone has their own favourite standard commands that they try instinctively. It would be nice if Alt+Enter toggled between full screen and windowed mode. That is not really a Mac standard, but it is common in SDL and Unity-based applications.

The new version you linked to is a great improvement, by the way.

EDIT: There is something weird going on with the View menu. Enter Full Screen is listed twice when in windowed mode. Also, there is a functional but pretty useless Show Tab Bar command, unless I am missing the point.

Attachment:
Skärmavbild 2018-12-30 kl. 12.58.01.png
Skärmavbild 2018-12-30 kl. 12.58.01.png [ 31.87 KiB | Viewed 206 times ]
EDIT 2: As it happens, I looked this up for another project. Here is how to disable the Tab Bar menu item: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/39399553/how-do-i-disable-the-show-tab-bar-menu-option-in-sierra-apps