Castronegro Blues

What, for vagueness reasons? All moral obligations are vague; no moral obligation can be unambiguously applied in all cases (“is that really murder?”). Having some confusing edge cases can’t be a reason to reject a guideline.

You don’t have to be altogether silent to follow my suggested guideline. Just don’t break it in unambiguous cases, like telling sexist/racist jokes. In ambiguous cases, do your best to muddle through.

I really wouldn’t want to get into this, but I just have to point out that Archie Bunker is not a very good argument in this case. You were supposed to laugh at him, not with him. There’s a big difference.

my cat’s breath smells like cat food

People just don’t have the moral obligation to prevent other people from misconstruing their works, that you think they do. It sounded like what you were saying is that a well-intentioned author should never write a sexist character, because some sexist might take it too seriously, it might accidentally reinforce some bad beliefs. Half the literary world (including plenty of feminists) would probably disagree with you on that.

If you are now saying, on the other hand, that it is not just the character who is sexist but the author, and thus the work itself is unambiguously sexist to the point of failing quite directly in its ‘moral obligations’, well that’s a different question that I can’t really address, because not having played, I don’t know whether the sexism is contained to one character.

I appreciate that I’m late to this party, but I played this game solely to see what all the fuss was about; and I have to say I found it very amusing.

Vulgarity and profanity are not funny on their own – except when they are. In some cases, the vulgarity is so completely over the the top, and so completely unexpected, as to make it funny. When I read:

“She was blonde, classy, and stacked like a brick shithouse”

I almost spat coffee over my screen. From the genre and the preceding text, what I’d expected was a euphemistic way of saying “stacked like a brick shithouse”, without actually saying it. To come right out with it was spot-on. Throughout the game there are examples of magnificently gratuitous crude language. My favourite is

“The sign hangs listlessly, like a warm dog’s gonad”

LIke a what?! For Heaven’s sake… The pendant in me is forced to wonder whether the adjective ‘warm’ applies to the dog or the gonad but, in any event, the humour lies in the fact that there is absolutely no need for this crudeness and yet it is, at the same time, a surprisingly apposite description.

Yes, it’s juvenile, but it’s cleverly juvenile. Well done.

Thank you! :smiley:

In the spirit of shameless self-promotion, if you haven’t heard, Castronegro Blues will be played Sunday 2/23/14, noon eastern time, on Club Floyd.

Really? Congratulations on having your game picked. :slight_smile: I shan’t be attending but I’m looking forward to perusing the transcript. I’m particularly curious to see how a group of people playing at the same time deal with the rather open nature of the midgame, with characters going to and fro.

I know. I’m going to be there to help it along because, as only my 3rd game, it’s far from perfect. Also, David Welbourn made a thorough walkthrough in case things get real stupid.

Hey, how did this go? Can’t find a transcript. Mind, I’m not entirely sure where to look, but it’s not in allthingsjacq.com/interactiv … #clubfloyd yet.

I’m waiting for it too. I wanna see how the last half of play went. I guess Jacq is a bit busy at the moment.

I don’t think dfabulich gets how effectively tied to the PC the narrator is… the narrator pretty much sees the world through the eyes of the PC

it’s an excellent oportunity for characterization, rather than just dialogues

I might give this one a chance after I’m done with Jigsaw…

Namekusejin, though that’s a relevant point, MTW’s “Nameless Detective” series seem to have the narrator as a separate entity altogether. There’s definitely a feeling of a guy who’s been turned out for narrating a Raymond Chandler novel, has hit the bottle, ows rent, and is scraping a meager living by having to narrate the lovecraftian escapades of this detective whom he’s not really that fond of.

Well, ok, maybe not THAT separate, I’m making the narrator sound like he’s a fleshed out character in his own right, which is not quite the case. But in these games there’s certain some separation - the narrator is clearly not the PC, and it’s easier for one to seem them as distinct than see them as both parts of a whole (more common in other games).

Finally, before you play this one I’d reccommend Brian Timmons. But you’ll need quite a while to get done with Jigsaw, I finished it only a couple of months ago myself. :slight_smile: Enjoy the ride.