Ectocomp 2011

The archive seems to be missing my game’s walkthrough (didn’t I send it?), but in any case, I’ve posted it at http://www.yllr.net/if/orient_express/.

I don’t think it’s possible to trust or distrust Spatterlight, since it can’t actually open ADRIFT 5 games [emote]:)[/emote]

Until there’s a terp for Macs, I’m in a bad place with Adrift 5. The online runner produces output I find really hard to read or follow. I usually play offline by text-to-speech, which I can’t do with most of this year’s Adrift 5 ectocrop.

My apologies for the wait, but attached is the final version of Ectocomp 2011. We received one more game during the extension and I have also added the walkthrough for “Bloodless on the Orient Express,” which I had previously forgotten. Also, the scoring sheet has been added for those following along at home who wish to judge.

As for running ADRIFT 5 games, as soon as we can get the games up on the ADRIFT website they should be playable online. Yes, both ADRIFT 5 and the online ADRIFT interpreter are in beta. Sadly, I don’t have a technical answer to the problem other than “We apologize for the inconvenience.” [emote]:([/emote]

Is there a reason why the Competition page lists only the ADRIFT games? (The z-code games are present in the .zip)

ARE YOU DISCRIMINATING AGAINST I7 ??? [emote];)[/emote]

It is obviously a huuuuge conspiracy!

Counterpoint: http://ifdb.tads.org/viewcomp?id=b98q8oo6x14j0yx

The reason is probably because I was unable to upload the adventures as a .zip for some reason, so I handed them off to Campbell for an upload. He has it set up so that only games uploaded individually to the ADRIFT Adventures page show up on competition pages. He has apparently only uploaded the ADRIFT games to the Adventures page, likely for reasons of promoting his brand. I will talk with him about it and see if we can’t get the others (the z-code games and the web-based hypertext piece) up there with links to IFDB. I mean, they count for half the competition… I don’t see why they shouldn’t be up there!

I’ll also see about getting Ectocomp 2011 in general onto IFDB when I find a moment for it (hopefully this weekend at latest). I see Hannes has already jumpstarted that effort, which is excellent. The only thing is I don’t know what authors will want to say about their particular games (outside of my own), so I’ll leave it up to authors to edit their game’s pages.

You have my apologies for this inconvenience. I hope we can work out a solution that’s good for everybody.

No worries. I also took the liberty of making a page for mine and edited the download link for Hannes’ game.

It’s nothing sinister, the upload has always been restricted to ADRIFT games. If you packaged the other games individually in zip files they could also be uploaded. Let me know if you have any problems.

Yeah, I didn’t assume it was anything sinister.

(Campbell, are you capable of sinister behaviour? Do you own a white cat and a swivel chair? Do you have a ghastly facial scar you just never show on your profile? Have you launched any laser satellites in the past week?)

Sounds like that’s what I’ll do, zip 'em all up. I’ll see about getting around to it tonight, if I can.

[guilty eye-darting] Wait is that … is that bad?

If you forget the thrusters on the satellites they’ll be … adrift.

I notice these still haven’t been uploaded. Any registered member should be able to do this. Were you wanting/expecting me to?

Campbell: I tried it, but after submitting the file for upload, I get this error message:

Thanks. This should now be fixed.

Thanks, Campbell, it worked now! I entered my own game and classified it as a “Complete Adventure” rather than a “Competition Entry” since that is what the other Ectocomp games seem to be, too.

Taleslinger: I thought about entering your game, too, but it seems that would give me sole ownership of the entry, i.e. not allow you to edit it. Do you have an account on the Adrift site? If not and you approve, I’ll gladly enter it.

I’d be much obliged if you did, Hannes. [emote]:-)[/emote]

Added here: http://www.adrift.co/cgi/adrift.cgi?page=adventure&advid=1318. There is one problem; Campbell, maybe you can help: Although I entered “Taleslinger” as author, his name is linked to me and the game appears on the list of games I’ve written. This is not the intention, maybe you can fix it? I didn’t find a way.

If Taleslinger is not signed up as a user, you should be able to assign it to “Anonymous”.

This year’s Ectocomp games are all up on IFDB. I have given them the description “Written for Ectocomp 2011” and the genre “Seasonal.” If you’d like to change your game’s description, feel free.

Just a small note, the following authors don’t have profiles on IFDB I could link their games to: Andrew Schultz, Mel S, and Justahack. To those authors, you might want to consider making a profile and linking your games to it.

Campbell: Thanks, this worked.