Finding Martin-Why has this game become so obscure?

… and I’m now playing it. Even the first area has a lot to examine, so I might be a while, but I’m already intrigued!

3 Likes

That sounds like a hint. :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

Could be! And remember toy trains can transport things as well full sized ones sometimes.

1 Like

I can’t believe it’s been nine months, but I’ve picked the game up and put it down a few times. Recently, though, I’ve been putting a lot of time into it and have now reached 180/360 points, so I suppose I must be about halfway. I’m enjoying it more and more, and beginning to get into the part that tells Martin’s and his family’s stories. Really enjoying it, and when I finally finish, there will be a review on the IFDB which will hopefully inspire more people to play!

5 Likes

Make sure you have a few months to spare. Martin isn’t notorious for his gregarious nature.

2 Likes

Haha, I am still going. In one of my save files, I have 306 out of 360 points, though, so I’m getting towards the end! And still very much enjoying it.

2 Likes

I’ve found Martin!!!

Thank you so much @G.K_Wennstrom for writing one of the best, longest and puzzliest games I have ever played, with one of the most meaningful and fascinating stories in any IF I know. I will certainly be giving it a very positive review on the IFDB. Hopefully the game will become less obscure, as it deserves.

Thanks also for writing a walkthrough, as I would never have completed the game without some help with a few of the trickier parts. Having said that, given the length of the game, I am quite proud of myself for how much I managed to do alone, even solving some of the trickier puzzles (like opening up the bedside cabinet far earlier than I was supposed to by interpreting Rachel’s mural, and figuring out the three trips in the Sour transformation with just a little initial prompting.

I think I’ll stick to some short, choice-based games for the next few months, now …!

11 Likes

Congratulations!

Finding Martin is a grand achievement. I too enjoyed the weeks I spent with the game very much and gave it a very positive review.

Every review can help to push this wonderful game to the recognition it deserves.

6 Likes

I picked it up on and off last summer, but imagine I’m hardly a quarter in. It is indeed a worthy game for recognition.

6 Likes

It’s made it on to my hope-to-play list, since @mathbrush was talking about games with the most words/lines of source code a month or two ago…

3 Likes

I never finished Finding Martin. Years ago, I was playing it via Floyd on ifmud with a friend, but we got rather stuck a several points, and yes, there was puzzle fatigue. I think my notes are still online, hopefully, so I can get back to it someday, but I’ll need a good block of time to do it. In my personal opinion, Finding Martin also has more “moon logic” and “spooky action” in it than Mulldoon Legacy has, both of which makes a game more difficult to solve.

5 Likes

If you ever solve it, would you make a walkthrough? I find your walkthroughs really good and always help!

1 Like

Yes, of course, that should go without saying. The caveot is that I need the time to do it. There are walkthroughs-in-progress for games I played ages ago and finished, but the longer the game is, the longer the walkthrough process is.

6 Likes

I’m just now reading much of this thread. I want to thank those who have enjoyed aspects of Finding Martin, and also to apologize for how my inexperience as an author made it so weird. If there are specific player questions, I wouldn’t mind addressing them either in a forum or a private email exchange.

10 Likes

I love how @mathbrush started this thread in '15. It was in no way swamped with comments in the years since, but look at us still talking about Finding Martin 9 years later.

To anyone reading this because this thread just showed up on the “Latest” list: Finding Marting is great! You should go play it.

Finding Martin - Details (ifdb.org)

9 Likes