Old Adventure creation System brought back to life (DAAD)

Yes, there has been lots of developments since this thread…

MSX2 has been added as a new target machine, there’s a new interpreter for Spectrum 128K and one called PCDAAD that targets VGA 320x200/256 colours mode, plus there’s a web-based client on the way too. Uto’s various tools and extensions has added many addition enhancements to the original platforms too, in the couple of years since the system was made available to the community… See… https://www.ngpaws.com/

It’s a great system to use, particularly for those already well-versed in the Gilsoft family of systems (Quill, PAWS, SWAN etc).

2 Likes

I was hoping that DAAD would eventually cover a similar range of machines to the Level 9 adventure system.

Is that likely to happen or should I just wait for the Level 9 preservation project to release their tools?

Getting to use the Level 9 system would be cool but who knows if it would even be easy to use.

I wouldn’t personally wait. The retro systems that are currently out there, e.g. Quill, DAAD, PunyInform, target a decent range of machines and are very accessible. DAAD already targets the majority of the Level 9 systems (out of the main ones, it’s only really the BBC Micro that it doesn’t do). And PunyInform will let you write for most things, if you’re into the more generic z-machine stuff.

From what little I’ve heard, Level 9 code is a little like BASIC.

The machine I’m most interested in supporting is the Enterprise, which is quite rare but had a common (Z80) CPU. I’d also like to create games for as many other systems that didn’t have much software available when they were still being sold new.

Well, it seems extremely unlikely a specific Enterprise DAAD interpreter would be produced, unless there’s a developer in that scene that wants to chat to Uto about how to take that project on. The CP/M interpreter would work with IS-DOS, I guess.

I’m not even sure what language(s) the interpreters are written in, as the source hasn’t been released. I did notice that some of the available source is in Pascal and some in PHP.

If the interpreters were written in Pascal, I might consider tackling the job myself, but it would likely take me a while. It would still be quicker than writing an entire system from scratch though.

I’ve just double checked on Wikipedia and the Enterprise was able to run CP/M programs. I’d forgotten about that as I never owned a disk drive for that machine.

1 Like