Spring Thing 2024 is live!

Yes, MB has released a zipped version of the games. Thank you.

1 Like

Uff, which part, Jade? …oh, I see, Brian has already repaired it.

1 Like

I already fixed it! Deep Dark Wood had links on its cover art and name that I forgot to change. I changed those, though. So I removed 2 404 errors that were caused by me.

2 Likes

Happy to hear

1 Like

Spring Thing public chat is available. This is accessible to all forum users, and the chat will (barring technical catastrophe) be publicly archived as a topic at Spring Thing’s conclusion.

As always, we encourage you to post long-form, in-depth essays and reviews as a forum topic, but you can discuss in the moment thoughts in chat.

6 Likes

What a lovely bunch of new IF pieces! I’m afraid I’m too ill at the moment to do my usual Spring Thing reviews. I’m also - limited time and energy permitting - having to focus on finishing my own game for IFComp. But I’ll be popping in here, reading other people’s Spring Thing reviews, and making a note of which things to try myself in future :slight_smile: Good luck all entrants, and happy Spring Thing / Autumnal Jumble all!

10 Likes

Alltarach is set in 6th century Ireland, when priests and Christianity were just arriving in the land of druids and paganism.

6 Likes

Update: Rescue at Quickenheath’s itch.io page is up!

Whoever made Deep Dark Wood happen, kudos. The innocence of it all is charming.
Sweet minds at work and play.

4 Likes

It’s Slovakia high school students :slight_smile:
I think the same class or teacher organising the entries as last year?

5 Likes

They’re students from primary and middle schools from Senica, Slovakia - enthusiasts forming an informal IF writers’ club. [spoiler] Last year at Spring Thing there were just three attempts (not counting mine, the IXI puzzle). One author was very promissing, but my hands are tied as to making a promissing author continue - this year she abstained. But new blood apeared with the Thaw and here comes Spring Thing with skilled and unbiased “jury” - who just by offering feedback can change much more than I can.

The current seven stories show rising awareness of the authors here that they actually can write and let others enjoy their writing. Some stories were written just within two hours on a workshop in December, other authors spent much more time, hours and hours, in the silence of our IT room, after school. For some a review is just a nice treat making their day more interesting, for some, yet, you’ll never know, you just see the hunger in their eyes when you share the reviews.

In my country we are pioneers in IF. This also means no competition among students and also no other teachers to compare to. That’s why I formed a micro competition in Autumn, called SIF (with a wooden statuette of viking goddess of good harvest as the winner’s prize + author’s public reading at the prize ceremony) and am promoting it among other teachers. Brian helped me to set the guidlines for the jury last year.[/spoiler]

17 Likes