Why not use Facebook?

I don’t use facebook. When people ask me “why not” and tell me to “just use it”, I feel like a character in an alien invasion type movie, where parasitic worms took over their brains, causing the whole town to act in the same, creepy manner. They offer me a worm and promise how good it will feel if I join them.

I run away, scared for my well being, and mourn for them, knowing there’s nothing I can do to bring them back and undo the brain washing.

I also do not use Facebook. (Maybe you should run a NNTP server though)

I only have fake FB accounts with which I use to pester people when bored.

I don’t have a nntp server set up yet, but I do have an IRC server setup.

I have a facebook account. It is mainly used to maintain contact with geographically distant family members. My security settings are as tight as possible. My only “friends” are close family members and real world friends that can be verified. Due to trash some family members post, they are blocked, as well.

I am a member of several special interest groups on facebook. The content is not as organized and searchable as that on a dedicated website linked to a topic driven discussion forum. No matter the security, there will always be inappropriate content on your facebook page from time to time.

This forum is one of the best discussion areas on the internet. I would hate to see it go the way of facebook. The moderators must work very hard to preserve the quality of content and discussion on this forum.

It it isn’t broken, don’t fix it.

fos1

You don’t have to use it, I just refer back to my original statement that in terms of catching the eye of prospective new IF players & makers that not using Facebook is missing a trick - but as has subsequently been established this isn’t an issue for people so, to be honest, it’s all kind of moot now. :slight_smile:

Totally agree. Again I was never making an “either/or” argument; it just felt that as a tool for reaching out to people who may otherwise not be reachable Facebook is useful.