Text Adventure Literacy Jam 2024 has started

The submission window for Text Adventure Literacy Jam 2024 has started. Games can be submitted from 1 March to 30 April 2024. The games are released and judging commences on 1 May 2024.

For those that are unaware, TALJ is an annual competition where authors write a text adventure (or parser-based interactive fiction) that is suitable for beginners to the genre and must include an in-game tutorial. The optional theme is fairy tale. There are some generous prizes up for grabs and we’d really like some more non-cash prize donors.

At the time of writing, 84 people have joined the competition (down from 86 earlier today), so we should get 10 or so submissions by 1 May. This is a fun event, but it is quite challenging, as it is very hard to write a game suitable for beginners and even harder to write an in-game tutorial.

If you reckon you’ve got what it takes, why not take up the challenge? See the home page (link above) for further details, including a link to the Discord server, which now includes a channel for teams.

18 Likes

:partying_face: So exciting!!

6 Likes

Looking through the TALP page, I noticed this:

What is a text adventure?

This is related to rule 2.
A text adventure is a form of computer game that uses artificial intelligence and natural language processing to communicate with the player. [my bold]

This might be confusing in this day and age when “artificial intelligence” means so much more than parsing simple english commands. Especially when combined with rule

#16: The game must not use any AI generated code or text content.

5 Likes

You could say ‘parser’ and ‘tutorial’ in the same breath, but can you say ‘parser’ and ‘beginner-friendly’ in the same breath? The bar is really high…

Edit: The past year versions of TALJ(C) has mostly been people who have been very proficient parser-wise (making and playing). Hope to see those from the Twine and choice-based camp take a stab at this! And maybe learn some parser too in time for Spring Thing and IFComp!

3 Likes

That’s… the whole point of this jam?
I thought most entries of the past editions of the jam were :100: friendly. They definitely helped me get better at parser, for sure.

3 Likes

:wave:
I did, last year :wink:

5 Likes

I thought ChoiceIF isn’t parser based and therefore disqualified? No?

2 Likes

Good point. Artificial intelligence is an extremely broad area, especially nowadays. In the early days, natural language processing was just one area of AI, along with things like fuzzy logic, expert systems and so on. I’ve removed the first reference in the guidelines related to rule 2 (which refers to the parser). The other guidelines related to rule 16 must be read in full. This relates to AI content generated for the game itself and should be read in full to see what’s permitted and what’s not permitted.

You may have misread this. ‘Beginner-friendly’ refers to the player, not the game author. Even so, past comps have had a lot of entries from first-time game authors and some of those have been very good. There are a lot of people that have joined this year who are unknown in the IF community, so we may get some more new IF authors, and that’s probably a good thing.

Correct. However, this comp is a great opportunity for choice-based authors to have a go at writing a parser-based games, as @manonamora did last year. As the games themselves are aimed at beginners to the genre, the expectations of the authors are not as high as something like IF Comp.

6 Likes

Rule 16:

The game must not use any AI generated code or text content. AI generated images are permitted, providing credit is given.

What exactly does it mean “providing credit is given”? thanks.

3 Likes

“AI images generated using Night Cafe” or something like that. In other words, you’re crediting the AI site that you used, rather than the artist. This is all new territory, but I’m sure you’ll be able to think up something appropriate.

3 Likes

Thanks, that’s what it i thought. But it does seem odd. A bit like having to say, “Images edited using Photoshop” or something. Esp when PS starts having AI built into brushes and tools. etc.

1 Like

I believe the requirement is there to prevent authors claiming or implying, even by omission in credits, that the images are made by an artist when in fact AI generated them. I read that rule as AI usage has to be disclosed, not as AI used has to be honored by credit.
PS case with the AI-aided tools is interesting, maybe its usage will be required to be mentioned as well in the future, who knows.

5 Likes

I’d put that sort of use as being AI, and thus should be credited like you would with Midjourney/OpenAi, since its AI generated the edits…

2 Likes

Indeed. What i see happening is things being “AI assist” as opposed to “generated”. For example, if you checkout Adobe firefly, you can see emerging AI tools for creators such as “Generative Fill”, “Text effects”, “Generative recolor” etc.

2 Likes

I agree, but at the same time, I am afraid that we are all gonna be charged with anthropism by the future’s woke culture when sentient AI is considered people. :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

But will it pass the Turing test? Will it pass the plagiarism test? Multiple people use the same prompt? Will it pass the uncanny valley test?

Will we pass their equivalent Turing test? Maybe that will become more relevant then.

1 Like

This is really one of the points. Implying credit for an image you did not painstakingly create yourself is misleading at best and also diminishes the work of others. We are not barring its use, merely insisting on the disclosure of its use.

Another point is a courtesy to those playing the finished titles. We feel people should be able to choose what sort of content they engage with. By not disclosing the use of, say, Midjourney, you’re stripping that agency from the players. Many may not care, but it isn’t up to us to deny those who do care the option to opt-out.

7 Likes

Isn’t that like saying white label writing shouldn’t be accepted either.

I don’t write professionally so I could be entirely wrong about this, but I thought white-label writing was generally not accepted for things like writing contests and competitions?

3 Likes