Infinite Craft at neal.fun

Is anyone else playing Infinite Craft? It’s an incredible time sink where you start with four basic things, then combine any two into something else,… and almost anything (in theory) can be made this way. It’s taken days, but I finally built “Interactive Fiction” itself. I hope I’m allowed to insert a screenshot here.

It’s kind of wonderful and terrifying at the same time, isn’t it?

18 Likes

I have seen a similar idea in a game called Doodle God but the scope of this project seems much bigger? With a name like Infinite Craft, seems like it.

6 Likes

Woohoo! An IF idea generator! Just for curiosity’s sake, how on earth did you make Emily Short appear?

5 Likes

Is there a writeup on how it works yet? There must certainly be some kind of generative concept-net-ish search behind it, but I haven’t seen any discussion.

4 Likes

I’ve seen a lot of discussion around this game recently, and played it a little. It’s really fun (and the other stuff the creator has made, like The Password Game, is also worth checking out. Most of it isn’t exactly interactive fiction, but there’s some shared DNA between cool interactive webpages and IF). I’ve heard it uses AI to generate the result of new combinations, and also keeps a database of all existing combinations. Not sure, though.

4 Likes

Yeah, Wikipedia says, “AI software, including LLaMA and Together AI, is used to produce new elements.”

5 Likes

The game doesn’t record how you made anything; it just remembers the results. Casual replaying shows that:

• Interactive Fiction + Adam = Adam Cadre
  • Interactive Fiction + Adam Cadre = Photopia
  • Interactive Fiction + Video Game = Zork
  • Zork + Writer = Infocom
  • Adam Cadre + Blog = Emily Short
  • Emily Short + Blog = Emily Short’s Interactive Storytelling
  • Interactive Fiction + Guns = Gun Mute
  • Pygmalion + Statue = Galatea

You may be surprised to learn that I still haven’t been able to coax out several basic concepts like Color or White or Man or Girl or Next. Those sorts of things are tricky. Also, many concepts are so strong they block easy access to related concepts. Japan + (almost any food) = Sushi, for example. To get Rice, I needed to do China + Corn, I think. Also, there’s weirdness like how Brexit + Exodus = Brexodus instead of Exit.

6 Likes

I just played a couple of minutes. It’s cool I got steam-engines before dinosaurs.

How on earth (or any other element) did you squeeze out The Gostak?

3 Likes

Darned if I know. I think at the time, I was throwing anything at Interactive Fiction to see what would combine with it. It doesn’t combine with other things easily. But I just learned now that Interactive Fiction + Paragraph = Choose Your Own Adventure. And apparently, I did Interactive Fiction + Script = Twine.

5 Likes

New discoveries:

• Interactive Fiction + Haunted House = The Lurking Horror
  • The Lurking Horror + Author = Dave Lebling
5 Likes

There was a long discussion on hacker news a month ago, but most of it isn’t exactly technical. Infinite Craft | Hacker News

2 Likes

[Mummygod] + [Catholic] = [Pope]

I’ll let that sink in for a minute.

3 Likes

That’s blatantly inaccurate. The Pope isn’t God. He’s the mummy pontiff.

3 Likes

guys the whole hacking thing isn’t to shut down the game there is a hacker trying to hack the game to where he can make himself :laughing:

1 Like

I’ve been trying this manually using chatGPT and starting with only Void. I’ve gotten up to Dark Matter and a whole bunch of physics stuff I don’t understand. No baryonic matter yet.

1 Like